HumanPara Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Fatigue from too much Cortisone use!  (Read 8718 times)

Stay Happy

Fatigue from too much Cortisone use!
« on: October 31, 2018, 03:47:05 AM »

I took a lot of prednisone for Crohn's from the ages of 18-20, then even more from the age of 24-30. Some days I was taking 60mg, but mostly it was around 30mg a day...every day. Those years are a complete blur in my memory. Eventually, I had to stop taking cortisone as my bones were thinning. Fortunately for me at that time INfliximab/Remicade was approved in Australia and it worked for me, to reduce the inflammation. I ceased taking cortisone in 2008. By 2010 I was feeling fatigued, every day. Some days worse than others, where I would wake up and feel like going back to sleep. Where I would sleep 10 hours a night and often 2-3 hours in the day too. It was debilitating. Eventually, the fatigue got so bad I was seeking answers. Finally, after a LOT of testing, we worked out that my adrenal gland was not making enough cortisol. I was prescribed 8mg of cortisol in the morning and 4mg in the afternoon. This worked, immediately. Instantly I felt better, warmer and more energy and I stopped sleeping in the daytime. After a few months, the fatigue came back. So they upped my dose. I am now on 30mg of cortisol in the morning in a slow release formula and 25MH of DHEA hormone (they work in unison) and apparently, my body should start to level out soon and make enough cortisol itself to compliment what I am taking orally. I still have Infliximab 8 weekly and have done since 2008. I take questran powder twice daily to line the gut to stop the bile stimulating the large bowel, a by-product of 3 surgeries. I also have a B12 injection every 90 days and Blood and urine tests every 90 also to monitor my liver and cortisol levels.

I thought there might be others out there with this problem, that is why I shared it.
Good luck!