HumanPara Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Dr. Tim Bull reviews the Crohn's MAP Vaccine May 2019 Research Paper  (Read 6269 times)

Julie D.

• Administrator

Dr. Tim Bull (who is part of the Human Para MAP/CD Testing Study and was instrumental in the initial design and development of the original vaccine and testing the efficacy of a prime-boost version in animals with MAP infection) was kind enough to write an article for the Human Para community breaking down the recent Crohn's MAP Vaccine Journal Article. Personally, I was having trouble understanding the impact of this latest research since it was pretty technical, so Dr. Bull's analysis was very helpful.

"This paper, entitled Safety and Immunogenicity of a Novel Recombinant Simian Adenovirus ChAdOx2 as a Vectored Vaccine, describes the initial safety studies in humans of a vaccine that is designed to stimulate immune recognition of specific components of the MAP bacterium called gsd, ahpC, mpa and p12. It does this by using a harmless virus, originally found in chimpanzees, to deliver MAP components in a manner that activates and educates powerful cells in the body’s immune repertoire so that they recognize which of their own cells are infected with MAP. Once primed, these immune cells can home in and either kill infected cells and the MAP organisms inside them or stimulate mechanisms in the infected cells so that they are able to eliminate these persistent invading organisms on their own."

The entire article can be found here:
https://humanpara.org/expert-review-crohns-map-vaccine-may-2019-research-paper/

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this new research!

Lkelley

• Global Moderator
Re: Dr. Tim Bull reviews the Crohn's MAP Vaccine May 2019 Research Paper
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 05:47:50 PM »

I appreciate Dr. Bull taking the time to write this for the HPF community. Interesting that the subjects given the intermediate vaccine dose had the best response. I am curious to see what the next phase of testing will display.

Abelle

Re: Dr. Tim Bull reviews the Crohn's MAP Vaccine May 2019 Research Paper
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 07:30:25 AM »

I too appreciate Dr. Bull’s time clarifying what they set out to do and their ultimate findings. Having a therapeutic vaccine has always been the most attractive option to me. From this reading, it sounds as if we are in the beginning stages and there will need to be much refinement. I just hope it doesn’t take as long as it has for an effective vaccine for TB or Leprosy which remains elusive.